If you occupy business premises then you are almost certainly liable to pay business rates and for most, business rates is a substantial cost. Hammond Chartered Surveyors may be able to significantly reduce your business rates liability. We have an impressive track record in this highly specialist sector of the property market. We have saved our clients amounts ranging from a few thousand pounds on small assessments up to hundreds of thousands of pounds on large assessments.
What we do
In simple terms, we use our expert knowledge and experience to mitigate your rate liability. We identify excessive assessments and lodge appeals with the Valuation Office Agency with the aim of securing a full refund of past years overpayments and securing a reduction in rate liability going forward. We advise clients on traditional accommodation such as offices, industrial and retail premises as well as specialist properties such as public houses, hotels, leisure facilities and petrol stations. We are also able to provide strategies to minimise rate liability if your propety is empty, partially occupied or is adversely affected by external factors such as major building works.
Effective management of your Business Rates can generate significant savings. Our comprehensive rating service can be tailored to your requirements with our complete Mitigation Strategy covering the following:
- Audit of rate payments – to safeguard clients against overpayment through the occasional errors of Billing Authorities due to the complex system of calculating business rates
- Forecasts – for budgeting purposes, including estimates for new buildings
- Formal appeals – against rating assessments, valuations and negotiations with the Valuation Officer with the objective to agree a lower rateable value. When appropriate we undertake consultations to prior agree values. Where agreement cannot be reached with the Valuation Officer we pursue appearances at Tribunals
- Regular monitoring – to track changes of assessments in the Rating Lists by the Valuation Officer to ensure that appeal deadlines are not overlooked
- Rates relief – advice on discretionary and mandatory reliefs and exemptions, including vacant property and charities
- Advice on Certification – can produce significant rate savings through additional transitional relief without lodging appeals
- Surveys – data collection can provide an accurate record of the property. Our surveys can be tailored to meet individual requirements and can be adapted for other uses
- Rate refund calculations – are made and negotiated with the Billing Authority as appropriate. We also check and verify interest payments linked to rate refunds.
We do not charge up-front fees in most cases and are able to work on a ‘no win – no fee’ basis.
As Chartered Surveyors, we adhere to RICS Practice Standards – Rating Consultancy Code of Practice 3rd Edition. RICS Practice Standards seek to improve consumer protection and maintain professional standards. This code of practice sets out standards that rating consultants must adopt in all cases where they are either seeking instructions or are approached by a new or existing client to provide advice in relation to non-domestic rating matters. It has mandatory application to all Chartered Surveyors conducting rating consultancy work.
Get in touch
For further information, call us on 01782 659 905 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org